How to Choose a Wedding Venue
- Know your budget. Before you get swept away with visions of a mountaintop chapel complete with diamond encrusted cake toppers and a 24 karat gold detailed isle runner, be sure you know how much you can spend.
- How many are you expecting? A smaller venue can be quite picturesque, but won't work if you're having 200 people.
- Remember, you're choosing a location not just for you, but for your guests as well. Can your elderly grandmother climb that hill? And what about children running up and down that spiral staircase? Consider them as your choose your perfect spot.
- Compare packages and services. You may think that first website shows the perfect place, but shop around to make sure you're getting the best deal. Chances are in a destination wedding city there is a lot to choose from.
- Does the venue have a planner on site that will be there the day of your wedding, or do you need to designate a person to help run the rehearsal?
- Can you have your reception on the grounds? If yes, do they provide the catering or will you have to hire a third party?
- Who will officiate the ceremony?
- How much time do they allow for the wedding/reception? Some places have strict time limits or overage fees so take that into consideration.
- If the ceremony takes place outside, what alternatives do you have in case of bad weather?
- What kind of payment options do they offer? How much of a deposit do they require? What is their cancellation policy?
- Is there a sound system in place? And/or room for a band or DJ?
- Be sure to contact the staff and ask all your questions before making the final decision.
- Read the contract completely before you sign. You don't want to get caught paying unexpected fees when the bill comes.
Further Smokies Wedding Resources
- Money-Saving Tips for Your Smoky Mountain Wedding
- The Do's and Don'ts of a Smoky Mountain Destination Wedding
Smoky Mountain Wedding Seasons
< Return to the Smoky Mountain Weddings main page
Things To Do
- Outdoor Adventures
- Hiking & Waterfalls
- ATV, Jeep Tours & Rentals
- Backcountry Camping
- Cades Cove
- Disc Golf
- Fall Colors
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Whitewater Rafting
- Wildlife Viewing
- Winter Sports
- Zip Lines
- Family Fun
- Arts & Crafts
- Weddings & Honeymoons
- Wineries, Breweries & Distilleries