Revolutionary War veteran William "Fighting Billy" Tipton became the first of the Tipton clan to acquire land in the Smoky Mountains, taking advantage of Tennessee's land grant program in the 1820s. Colonel Hamp Tipton, a veteran of the Civil War, built the two-story cabin which still stands in Cades Cove in the early 1870s.
His daughters, Lucy and Lizzie, were school teachers who also lived on the property. Along with the cabin, the homestead includes a carriage house, a smokehouse, a woodshed, and a replica of a double-cantilever barn. James McCaulley, a blacksmith, would move into the cabin In 1878 and lived there until he built his own house.
Next Stop: Carter Shields Cabin