Primitive Baptist Church
As mentioned in the reading on the Missionary Baptist Church, John and Lucretia Oliver introduced the Baptist denomination to Cades Cove in 1825. The churches split over some major differences in beliefs.
The split mainly concerned differences over missionary work, temperance societies, and Sunday schools.
The Primitive Baptists remained the dominant religious and politic force in Cades Cove following the split. The church staunchly backed the Union in the Civil War, which led to divisions tense enough within the cove that it was actually closed during the war. The congregation met in a log structure until 1887, when the white frame church building which can be viewed on the driving loop today was constructed. The Primitive Baptist Church resisted closure until the 1960s, more than 20 years after the establishment of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.
Next Stop: Methodist Church